What equipment is needed for STAR 1-5?
- Beginner figure skates suitable for entry level jumps up to an axel.* Talk to your coach for recommendations on where to go for fittings
- A towel to properly dry skates after each session
- Soft guards to protect the blade while inside the skater’s bag
- Hard guards to wear when walking around off the ice
- Multiple pairs of gloves and/or mittens
- Appropriate skating clothing (ie. Yoga type pants, sweater or light jacket - no hoodies)
- Running shoes and a skipping rope to do a proper off-ice warm-up
- Competition clothes (dress, jumpsuit, skating pants, appropriate shirt, etc.) will be needed eventually but isn’t an immediate necessity to join the program. Your coach will give you more direction when the time comes
*Be sure your skater has beginner figure skates
To be successful in our STARSkate program, your skater will need a pair of new or used beginner figure skates. These skates are different than the basic white skates sold in sporting good stores; they have a specialized blade and toe pick, and a proper figure skate will have ample support for jumps. Your skater will not be able to learn the necessary skating skills, spins and jumps in regular white skates.
Beginner figure skates are available at several figure skating stores in the area or used you can check our consignment page for used ones. Your coach can give you more information about where to shop and what to look for when purchasing your skates.